The monobloc or plastic chairs are lightweight, versatile, and durable. These are the primary reasons why most homeowners prefer them. This room furniture is known as monobloc because they are made of a single plastic block.
You will find a wide range of plastic chairs in the US market. You will find plastic chairs from all the reputable brands including GIA, Rivet, Furmax, DHP, Urban Mod, Modway, and many more. However, are you curious about their manufacturing process? Here, we will discuss all the three methods primarily used to produce plastic chairs.
History of plastic chairs
Designer D.C. Simpson crafted some plastic chair designs in 1946. However, the furniture came into existence in 1970 when the Grosfillex group and Allibert group decided to build them. They took inspiration from the Chair Universal design by Joe Colombo in 1965, but none of the patents were registered. Afterward, multiple countries started constructing monobloc chairs. Today, these sitting structures are constructed in Australia, Russia, Taiwan, Mexico, India, the USA, and many other regions.
Material used to manufacture plastic chairs
Monobloc or plastic chairs are generally made of polypropylene, which is lightweight. Hence, you can move, rearrange or store these furniture pieces according to the requirements. Apart from that, these structures are very economical when compared to metal or wooden chairs.
Polypropylene is a durable and robust material and hence, plastic chairs can be used by all individuals irrelevant of their sizes. In addition, this material is easy to wipe clean. Plus, all the plastic chairs are finished with a glossy surface that never attracts much dust. So, you don’t have to invest much time or effort to clean these furniture pieces.
Plastic chairs are available in a variety of designs and colors. So, you can choose one of the models according to the existing design. Plus, you can use them both indoors as well as outdoors.
If you want to store a lot of chairs without sacrificing a lot of space, then plastic chairs are the best option. All thanks to their stacking features, monoblocs can be stored vertically. So, you can stack the plastic chairs even if they are in the hundreds or thousands. The stacking feature is also useful when you want to transport these chairs to other venues.
How are plastic chairs made?
The plastic chairs are manufactured by three different methods. We will discuss them in this section.
Rotational molding: Almost all the monoblocs are made using metal molds that can carve plastic into desired shape and design. Rotational molding is the most commonly used method to produce plastic sitting structures.
The procedure involves a metal mold, which is filled with a plastic polymer powder. Then, this mold is heated up to the melting point and rotated mechanically. The excess temperature and three-dimensional turns distribute the powder inside the mold. After spinning for some minutes, the mold stops and presents a hollow plastic chair.
Injection molding: The second method also utilizes a metal mold like the first one we discussed. However, the resulting structure is not hollow. Instead, the plastic chairs manufactured by injection molding are solid. Plus, there is no spinning involved here because the polymer is heated, then poured into a metal mold, and allowed to cool down.
The manufacturers have to be very cautious in this process because the plastic can dry fast, especially if poured inappropriately. If spurted fast, the end product will lose its uniformity. But when done by experts, the resulting monobloc will be seamless.
Gas injected molding: Manufacturers perform injection molding using gas that flows at a very high velocity inside the metal mold, pushing the molten plastic out of its way in certain areas. This movement of gas creates channels inside the plastic chair, making it lightweight but maintains the same strength. So, the end product will be hollow at some parts and solid at others.
Advantages of using plastic furniture
Plastic chairs are available in a wide variety of colors and designs, which helps you to choose something according to your existing setting. There are multiple other benefits of using monoblocs. Let’s know them in this section.
- Durable and almost unbreakable: A chair or any other plastic-made furniture will never break if it has high-quality construction. Plastic structures withstand similar weight as metal or wooden structures. So, you can try a monobloc without any doubt.
- Versatile: You can use a plastic chair in any environment. It will not crack due to sunlight or excess cold. So, monoblocs are suitable for both indoor and outdoor usage.
- Robust: A plastic furniture will not break even if it falls from a certain height. So, there are no dangers even if you have pets or kids.
- Termite proof: Wooden furniture are susceptible to multiple insects including termites. However, things are different when you are using plastic furniture because termites or any other rodents cannot damage them.
- Rust and corrosion-resistant: Plastic furniture never rusts unlike metal structures even if you expose them to moisture. So, you can use monoblocs near water resources. Plus, plastic structures can be also used in snow.
- Minimal maintenance: Plastic furniture seeks the least cleaning and maintenance time, unlike wooden or metal structures. You don’t have to varnish or paint them regularly.
- Cost-effective: Plastic furniture is less expensive than its glass, wooden, or metal variants. So, monoblocs are ideal if you are starting a new business or have fewer funds at the moment.
- Lightweight: One of the most beneficial characteristics of plastic furniture is its low weight, which allows you to shift them very easily. So, you can easily clean your living or dining room without any physical effort. Moving the furniture is very common in a house or office. Hence, plastic chairs are great for professionals as well as families.
- Reduces de-forestation: None of the makers cuts trees to manufacture plastic furniture. So, monoblocs and similar structures are environmentally friendly when compared to their wooden variants.
Disadvantages of using plastic furniture
We don’t have any doubt that plastic furniture is the best alternative to wooden structures. Cutting trees for our comfort is not a bright idea, especially when we are already dealing with air pollution. Metal furniture is expensive and seeks regular maintenance. Still. there are some unavoidable disadvantages of using plastic furniture. Let’s talk about them.
- Lack of luxury: Plastic furniture generally lacks the luster and elegance that are generally required in a luxurious sitting arrangement.
- Cannot stand as a status symbol: Home furniture is generally considered as a standard of your lifestyle and wealth. But, plastic furniture does not reflect any prosperity. When it comes to a status symbol, wooden and metallic furniture wins the round.
- Short lifespan: If we talk about the overall lifespan, then plastic furniture stays well behind the wooden and metal structures.
- Non-biodegradable: Plastic is a non-biodegradable material. So, even if none of the trees are cut while manufacturing monoblocs, it’s still harmful to our ecosystem.
- Air pollutant: The production of plastic releases harmful fumes into our atmosphere, which contributes to air pollution.
Now you know how a plastic chair is made. As we discussed, there are few limitations of plastic furniture. But, they are still favorite for offices, waiting rooms, guardrooms, living rooms, your patio, or the dining area. Lightweight and versatile sitting structures are the demand of the current market and plastic monoblocs offer both factors without taking much out of your pocket.